Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Acrobits Softphone App- Make Cheap Calls Internationally

As a frequent international traveler I depend on various Apps to make low cost calls both back to the states and to other countries. We've all heard of Skype and while I use Skype like many of you I also have a separate company reimbursed VoIP line through Vonage. I have a separate Vonage "Sofphone" line with its own number and it allows me to make calls via my computer. The beauty of this line is that it uses the SIP protocol. This means that it's compatible with just about any standard SIP client including the various iPhone Apps out there. At first I was using an App called WeePhone and while WeePhone works, it was very basic and lacking in some features that the higher end Apps had.

Acrobtis Softphone is my New Favorite VoIP SIP Client

This App already had more features than WeePhone. However, in their latest update they added support for iOS 4's multitasking, which means that the App can run in the background during a call while you use other Apps in the foreground. So in that respect it works just like the native iPhone Phone App. As many of you know I'm a sucker for a great UI (user interface) and Softphone is beautiful to look at. The App allows you to customize the colors and just has a more overall polished look to it over the last App I was using. I also like the fact that they have built-in presets for the most popular SIP based VoIP services and that makes setting up your account a breeze. Usually all it takes is to choose the service you're using and enter your user name and password and the App configures all the settings for you. I also really like the icon based Quick Dial (Favorites) feature. You add your most frequently called contacts to this screen and you just tap their photo to make the call. You can also configure the App with multiple SIP accounts if you need to. Probably the biggest reason I use this App over Skype is a simple one, Softphone supports bluetooth headsets. Other than that I also find the audio quality to be better too. Just like the native Phone App it works with my Jawbone ICON headset. So I can use it for handsfree calls.
It works over both 3G and WiFi and it's not limited to the iPhone. This App also runs great on an iPod touch or iPad. That's right you can use any iDevice as a phone! I've made calls from my iPad because it was already in my hands and the iPhone was across the room. Now before you rush off and buy this App I must remind you that it will be of no use to you unless you have a VoIP service that uses the SIP protocol. There is a list of providers right in the App and you can pick one of those if you don't already have one and get setup. International rates will vary, but they will be pennies compared to what your cellular carrier will charge you.
What about receiving calls? Although Softphone runs in the background in iOS 4 while you're on a call, iOS 4 doesn't allow any of these apps to sit idle in the background waiting for a call. Therefore if a call is received the App can only notify you via Push notifications. Depending on your VoIP carrier and the Push settings, this will either work for you or it won't. I didn't spend a lot of time in this area simply because I forward my Vonage line to my Google Voice number for my incoming calls.
You can get Acrobits Softphone here from the Acrobits

No comments:

Post a Comment